Galmstrup Ltd. is a design studio with profound
experience in Cultural and Community projects.
Galmstrup Ltd. is a design studio with vast experience of cultural projects. Our starting point is to understand the essence of a client’s brief and analyse the context of a site which then drive our projects' narrative and strengthen their special qualities.
We value daylight and its interaction with space and materials specific to a region, function and culture, and let it craft the atmosphere of the places we create. We deliver playful yet pragmatic innovative designs which encourage social interaction and create a sense of belonging for the user.
Our strengths are in the creative design process and the ability to drive complex projects forward often in large multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams. We do this through an open collaboration with our clients, collaborators and local stakeholders as well as craftsmen and builders to ensure the best solutions come to fruition on time and on budget.
- Feasibility Studies -> research and narratives
- Concept Design & Developed Design -> design and draw
- Technical Design & Construction Supervision -> implement and quality control
We provide full design services from site visits and initial sketches to technical design and construction supervision ensuring quality projects are delivered.
We follow the RIBA plan of work where possible but understand that customized services are sometimes more suitable for a project and are open to discuss.
CULTURAL + COMMUNITIES
- Vision & Program Strategy -> ideas to projects
- Arts & Craft Procurement -> new vernacular craftsmanship
- Exhibition Design -> visualize content
For cities, museums, collectors, galleries, institutions, organisations and developers we develop vision and program strategies to initiate and move ideas into projects.
We do this through our process orientated methodology and in close collaboration with the main stakeholders ensuring unique narratives, visions, programs and designs are delivered.
Archigrams prize for cheerfulness: “Utterly fearless and always inventive, Anne Marie’s work flows from the half-crazy, the attenuated, to the suddenly precise and concentrated. It is full of surprises and (one suspects) private jokes, more than a fair share of virtuoso moments and some beautiful graphic compilations.”
ANNE MARIE GALMSTRUP
Anne Marie has 16 years of international experience in museum and community projects as an architect, exhibition designer and client adviser. Her strength is her original design concepts based on the understanding of context, culture and community.
Anne Marie has a vast experience leading larger building projects with extensive cross-disciplinary teams in complex societies. She founded Galmstrup Ltd. in 2015 after being an equity partner at Henning Larsen Architects in Copenhagen for a decade and prior to that worked at Ushida Findlay Architects in London. At HLA, she was in charge of cultural projects with a larger civic social aspect and where user involvement was essential to bring the projects from concept to implementation such as the Massar Children’s Discovery Centre. She further established and was Managing Director of HLAs offices in Levant and Istanbul.
Anne Marie graduated from the Bartlett School of Architecture in London and holds a bachelor degree from the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. She has published under Ashgate, talked at the RIBA and Harvard GSD, taught a M.Arch studio, and is the founding director of the nonprofit organisation Imaginations Cross Cultures which organise summer schools for students.
”Anne Marie’s great quality is that she approaches the opportunities of every new project with a totally clean sheet. Her work does have a distinctly Nordic feel, but not at the expense of original, deep thinking, responsiveness to the brief and to stakeholders, enormous commitment and true creativity.
As both client and collaborator, I have found her approach captivating and constantly challenging, in the best sense of driving a project to realise better outcomes than anyone knew were possible.”
- We are Museums 2018, Museums as Social Agents, Catalyst speaker, Marakesch - May 2018
- Doh Eain, Designing for Social interaction, Speaker, Yangoon - March 2018
- RIBA Small Talks, Speaker, London - August 2017
- Womens Museum Denmark, Design and Narratives, Speaker, Aarhus - August 2016
- Harvard GSD, Crossing Boundaries, Post-war cities, Catalyst speaker, Harvard Arab Alumni Association weekend, Boston - October 2015
- Ashgate Publishing, Urban Design in the Arab World, Part IV The Visionary: New Cities - Reflecting on the dialectics between designer and client. June 2015 www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781472409768
- RIBA Journal, Continental Shift. April 2014 www.ribaj.com/culture/continental-shift
- ArchDaily Interview. September 2014 www.archdaily.com/547930/ad-interviews-anne-mariegalmstrup-henning-larsen-architects
- IMAGINATIONS 1, Architects Cross Cultures, Damascus - April 2009, ISBN 978-87-993081-0-1
- IMAGINATIONS 3, Suitable Cultural Institutions, Beirut - June 2012, ISBN 978-87-993081-1-8
- IMAGINATIONS 4, Resilient Cities through Culture, Seoul - December 2017, ISBN 978-1-78808-065-1
Copyright © Galmstrup Ltd. 2018
Registered in England & Wales Nº 9690172